Saturday, July 30, 2011

Bubble Puff & Tea - CLOSED

I don't think too many people know about this place yet. It's in the Kapahulu area across from Zippy's. Their specialties are bubble puff (egg puff) and jelea (jelly). The bubble puff takes awhile to make so the owners/staff will "talk story" with their customers while they're making it. The owners/staff are super nice.

The jelea comes in two flavors, coffee or tea, and it's basically jelly but they wanted it call it something different so they ended up with "jelea." (It kind of sounds like how you would say it in Cantonese, "jeh lei.") The coffee jelea is very refreshing and you can have it with whole milk or soy milk. The bubble puffs were good. It's cooked to golden brown and it has a bit of a crisp to it. You can add powdered sugar, chocolate, coconut, condensed milk, and cinnamon as toppings. I choose not to add any toppings because I liked it by itself. If I had the topping I think it would be too sweet. I highly recommend calling before you drive down there because their store hours change.

P.S. Drop my name if they ask you how you found out about the place.

3301 Campbell Ave
Honolulu, HI 96815
808.732.2201

Bubble Puff (plain)

Coffee Jelea (before)

Coffee Jelea (after)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment